APPLIED MATHEMATICS LETTERS, Editor-in-Chief, 2011- , Editorial Board, 1987- .
MATHEMATICAL AND COMPUTER MODELING, Editorial Board, 1992-2010
NOTICES of AMER. MATH. SOCIETY, Editorial Board 1996-2000.
AMERICAN MATHEMATICAL MONTHLY, Editorial Board, 1977-91, 97-02.
National Research Council/Nat'l Academy of Engineering
- U.S. Commission on Mathematics Instruction, 1981-1983
- Math. Sciences Education Board: Undergraduate Math Advisory Board,
- Panel on Advanced Study in School Mathematics, 1999-2001
- Advisory Committee for Center of Advanced Study in Engineering Education, 2001-2005.
- Program Committee for 2010 NAE Symposium on the Future of Engineering Education, 2009-10
- National Science Foundation, Division of Undergraduate Education
- Chair, Technical Advisory Committee, Course and Curriculum Development
Program Review, 1994-96
- Program Review Committee for Calculus Reform Initiative, 1993
- Mathematics Community Representative, National Science Board Undergraduate Review Hearings, 1995
- Math-Science Partnership Program Evaluation Advisory Committee, 2006-11
- Member of numerous NSF project advisory committees
- Mathematical Association of America
- First Vice-President 1988-90
- Member, Executive Committee and Board of Governors 1988-90
- Chair, Education Council, 1991-1997
- Chair, Publication Committee, 1982-86
- Chair, New York Metropolitan Section, 1994-96
- Governor, New York Metropolitan Section, 2017-2019
- Selected Publications Area Service
- Publications Committee, 1973-1986, 1991-94 (chair 1982-86)
- Editorial Committee on Studies in Math., 1975-1986 (chair, 1980-86)
- Editorial Committee on MAA Notes, 1981-1986 (founding chair)
- Selection Committee for American Math Monthly editor, 1985 (chair
), 1990 (chair);
- Selected Education Area Service
- Committee on the Undergraduate Program in Mathematics, 1976-
82, 1986-9, 2009-2012.
- Panel on General Math. Sciences Program 1977-1982 (chair);
- Committee on the Mathematical Education of Teachers, 1988-90, 2004-14
- Committee on Participation of Women in Mathematics, 1988-94
- Selected Other MAA Committees
- Investment Committee, 1992-2000, 2003-14
- Visiting Consultant and Lecturer (60 institutions visited), 1976-
- Presidential Selection Committee, 1984-85, 1990-91, 1992-93 (chair), 1994-95 (chair).
- Program Commitee for the Annual Summer Meeting, 1981-92, 1992-93
- Polya Lectureship Committee (chair) 1989-90.
- American Mathematical Society
- Education Committee, 1991-2000
- Task Force on Excellence in Scholarship, 1992-1998
- Representative to Section X, 2004-07
- Task Force on the First-Year Mathematics Experience, 2007-09
Conference Board of Mathematical Sciences, Math Education of
Teachers Project, Lead Writer, 1998-2001; Math. Educ. of Teachers II,
Writing Team, 2009-2012
Mathematical Programming Society, Dissertation Prize Committee
Operations Research Society of America, Rep. to AAAS section A
Short Courses and Notable Lectures
Invited Hour Speaker, AMS-MAA Summer Meeting, Seattle, 1996
Georgia University Consortium Distinguished Visitor, 1982
Chautauqua Short Course Director:
Combinatorial Problem-Solving, 1979-1983 at 8 sites;
Unified Approach to Linear Algebra, 1985-87 at 2 sites.
MAA Summer Course Lecturer: week-long courses at 8 MAA sections
on combinatorial problem-solving and applied linear algebra.
Academic Consultant and External Evaluator
Over 40 institutions visited or evaluated (1976- )
MathforAmerica, Co-Chair, Selection Committee; Advisory Committee, 2005-07
RAND Corporation, l965-1972
AT&T (Long Lines Division), 1980
John Wiley & Sons, editorial advisor, 1977-88
Sloan Foundation, Consultant on "The New Liberal Arts", 1981-1985
Malcolm Easton 1973, Austin Teng 1982, Donna Wilson 1983, T-H Wu
1983, Svetlana Dynin 1985
Doctoral Dissertation: Two Characterizations of Proper Circular-arc
Graphs, advisors: G. Dantzig and D.R. Fulkerson, Stanford University
- APPLIED COMBINATORICS, John Wiley & Sons, First Edition 1980
; Second Edition 1984; Third Edition, 1995; Fourth Edition, 2001;
Fifth Edition, 2007: Sixth Edition, 2012.
- A UNIFIED INTRODUCTION TO LINEAR ALGEBRA: MODELS, METHODS, AND THEORY,
MacMillan Publishing Co., 1988.
- LINEAR ALGEBRA: An Introduction to the Theory and Use of Vectors
and Matrices, MacMillan Publishing Co (now Prentice-Hall), 1994.
- FUNCTIONING IN THE REAL WORLD, co-author, Addison-Wesley, Reading
, MA, 1997, Second Eidtion, 2003, 425 pages.
- PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF MATHEMATICS, co-author, Springer, New
York, 686 pages, 1997.
- Characterizing the Consecutive 1's Property, Proc. 2nd
Chapel Hill Conf. on Combinatorial Math. and Its Appl., 1970, p.472
- Optimizing Binary Trees (with T.C. Hu), Proc. 2nd Chapel Hill
Conf. on Combinatorial Math. and Its Appl., 1970, p.285-305.
- Characterizing Circular-arc Graphs, Bulletin Amer. Math. Soc.
, 76 (1970), p.1257-1260.
- Heuristics in Manpower Scheduling (with E. Beltrami, L. Bodin, S.
Altman), SUNY-Stony Brook Urban Science Report #8, 1971.
- Optimal Computer Search Trees and Variable Length Alphabetical
Codes (with T.C. Hu), SIAM J. Applied Math. 2 (1971), p.
- Matrix Characterizations of Circular-arc Graphs, Pacific J.
Math. 39 (1971), p.535-545.
- A Structure Theorem for the Consecutive 1's Property, J.
Combinatorial Theory 12 (1972), p.153-162.
- The Strong Perfect Graph Theorem for Planar Graphs, Canadian
J. Math. 25 (1973), p.103-114.
- Perfect Graphs and an Application to Refuse Collection, SIAM
Review 15 (1973), p.585-590.
- Structure Theorems for Some Classes of Circular-arc Graphs,
Discrete Math. 7 (1974), p.167-195.
- Polya's Enumeration Formula by Example, Math. Mag. 47
- The Strong Perfect Graph Conjecture and an Application to a
Municipal Routing Problem, Graph Theory and Its Appl.,
Springer-Verlag, 1974, p.297-303.
- The Cost of a Class of Optimal Binary Trees, J. Combinatorial
Theory B 16 (1974), p.259-263.
- Towards a Mathematics Major for the 1980's, Amer. Math. Monthly
81 (1974), p.891-899.
- Coloring a Family of Circular Arcs, SIAM J. Applied Math.
29 (1975), p.493-502.
- A Model for Municipal Street Sweeping Operations, Case Studies
in Applied Math., Math. Assoc. of Amer., 19 [reprinted in
Discrete and System Models (ed. W. Lucas), Birkhauser Boston, 1983,
- A New Proof of the Euler Circuit Theorem and its Application to
Street Sweeping, Amer. Math. Monthly 83 (1976), p.638-
- Ideas for an Applications-Oriented Graph Theory Course, Proc.
of Conf. on Math. Models and Appl. in Undergraduate Math. (ed. M
. Thompson), Indiana Univ., 1976, p.139-165.
- Critical Perfect Graphs and Perfect 3-Chromatic Graphs, J.
Combinatorial Theory B 23 (1977), p.143-149.
- A Note on the Convergence of the Ford-Fulkerson Flow Algorithm,
Math. of Operations Research 2 <1977), p.143-144.
- Circular-arc Graphs: New Uses and a New Algorithm, Proc.
International Conf. of Graph Theory and Its Appl. (ed. D. Lick),
Springer-Verlag, 1978, p.580-589.
- On Berge's Strong Perfect Graph Conjecture, Annals NY Acad.
Sci. 319 (1979), p.530-535.
- Core Computer Science Curriculum and Mathematics, Computer
Science and the Math. Sciences: Interfaces and Overlaps, Conf. Board
of Math. Sciences, 1979, p.21-25.
- An Efficient Test for Circular-arc Graphs, SIAM J. of Computing
9 (1980), p.1-25.
- Linear and Circular Models for Graphs, UMAP Journal 1
- Redefining the Mathematics Major, Mathematics Tomorrow
(ed. L. Steen), Academic Press, 1981, p.47-55.
- Recommendations for a General Mathematical Sciences Major
(report of the CUPM Panel on a General Mathematical Sciences Program
), Math. Assoc. Amer., 1982.
- Principles for a Lower-Division Discrete-Systems-Oriented
Mathematics Sequence, The Future of College Mathematics (ed. A.
Ralston & G. Young), Springer-Verlag, 1983, p.135-144.
- A Matroid Related to Finite Chainlike, Countably Infinite Networks
(with A. Zemanian), Networks 12 (1982), p.453-457.
- Energy/Economy Model Linkage and Assessment (with M. Schnader,
N. Hendricks, K. Tingley, N. Huslak), Brookhaven National Laboratory
Report No. 33728, 1982.
- Uniquely Colorable Perfect Graphs, Discrete Math. 44
- CUPM's Proposed Mathematics Sciences Major, Proc. 4th Interna
tional Congress on Math. Education (ed. M. Zweng), Birkhauser,
- Coloring Graphs with Stable Cutsets, J. Combinatorial Theory
B 34 (1983), p.258-267.
- An 0(n2) Algorithm for Coloring Planar Perfect Graphs (with D.
Wilson), J. of Algorithms 5 (1984), p. 60-68.
- The Validity of The Perfect Graph Conjecture for K4-free Graphs,
Topics in Perfect Graphs (ed. C. Berge & V. Chvatal),
Annals of Discrete Math. 21 (1985), p. 149-157.
- The Validity of The Perfect Graph Conjecture for a Class of
Partitionable Graphs, (with R. Giles and L. Trotter), Topics in Perfect
Graphs (ed. C. Berge & V. Chvatal), Annals of Discrete Math.
21 (1985), p. 82-95.
- A New Start for Mathematics Curriculum, The First Two Years
College Math. (ed. D. Albers), Springer-Verlag, 1985, p.145-152.
- An 0(qn) Algorithm to q-Color a Proper Family of Circular Arcs (
with A. Teng), Discrete Math. 55 (1985), p. 233-243.
- Coloring Perfect (K4-e)-free Graphs, J. Combinatorial Theory
B 42 (1987), p. 313-318.
- A Reduction Procedure for Coloring Perfect K4-free Graphs, J.
Combinatorial Theory B 43 (1987), p. 151-173.
- The Use of Computing in Teaching Linear Algebra (with H. Anton,
E. Herman and G. Helzer),
Computers and Mathematics, Math. Assoc. of America, Washington
DC, 1988, pp. 55-61.
- Greedy Packing and Series-Parallel Graphs (with A. Hoffman),
J. Combinatorial Theory A 47 (1988), p.6-15.
- Trends in Mathematics: Bad News, Good News, FOCUS 8 (1989), p.2-3.
- Agenda of the MAA's New Education Council, UME Trends
3 #1(1991), p. 3.
- Computers in Undergraduate Mathematics, Mathematics in College
, Winter 1992, p 62-63.
- Moving Beyond Moving Beyond Myths, UME Trends 4
(1992), #3, p.4.
- The Growing Importance of Linear Algebra in Undergraduate Mathem
atics, College Mathematics Journal, 24 (1993), p. 3-9.
- Balanced Matrices with Row Sum 3, Discrete Mathematics, 132 (1994), p. 395-399.
- Reflections on the joy of teaching, FOCUS, Newsletter of Math Assoc.
Amer., 14 (1994), p.8.
- The Art Gallery Problem, Mathematical Horizons, 2
no. 1 (1994), p. 7-9.
- Assessing Calculus Reform Efforts, (with Jim Leitzel),
Mathematical Assoc. of America, Washington, 1995, 97 pages.
- The Parallel Climbers Problem, Mathematical Horizons,
3 no. 2 (1995), p. 22-24.
- Models That Work: Case Studies in Effective Undergraduate
Mathematics Programs, MAA Notes # 38, Mathematical Association of
America, Washington, DC, 1996, 78 pages.
- Matrices and Matrix Algebra, article in Encyclopedia of
Operations Research, ed. S. Gaus and and C. Harris, North-Holland,
1996, p. 381-384.
- Differing Viewpoints on the Teaching of Mathematics." editorial in A.M.S. Notices, 43 #12 (1996), p. 1468.
- The Role of Linear Algebra in Undergraduate Mathematics,
Resources for Teaching Linear Algebra, ed. D Carlson et al., Math.
Assoc. of America, Washington DC, 1997., pages 5-12.
- How Teachers Teach and How Students Learn," SIAM News, March 1998, p.14-17.
- Discrete Mathematics in the Core Curriculum, Confronting the
Core Curriculum, John Dossey, ed., MAA Notes #45, Mathematical
Association of America, Washington, DC., 1998.
- Polya's Counting Formula, section in CRC Handbook on Combinatorics,
K Rosen et al, editors, CRC Press, New York, 2000, p. 120-127.
- New Thinking about the Mathematical Education of Teachers, Dialogues
of NCTM, vol 4, #2, 2000, p.3.
- The CBMS Mathematical Education of Teachers Report, Proceedings
of the Michigan State-Math Assoc of Amer. Conference on the Mathematical
Education of Teachers, 2000.
- CBMS Preparing Report on Teacher Education, FOCUS, Math. Assoc.
of Amer., October 2000 vol. 21, #6, p.6.
- What Kinds of Mathematical Knowledge Matter in Teaching, Knowing
and Learning Mathematics, National Acad. Press, Washington, DC, 2001.
- The Mathematical Education of Teachers, lead writer, Conf. Board of
Mathematical Sciences, 2001, 145 pages.
- Playbook of the Long Island Consortium for Interconnected Learning,
- Perfect Graphs, chapter in CRC Handbook on Graph Theory, J. Gross and
J. Yellen, ed., CRC Press, 2003.
- Technical Problems with Standards-Based Math Tests, Newsletter NCTM
, May/June 2004, p. 5.
- In Testing: How Reliable are Year-to-Year Comparisons, Education Week
, August 11, 2004.
- Polynomial Time Recognition of Unit Circular-arc Graphs, with G. Duran,
A. Gravano and J. Spinrad, J. of Algorithms, 58 (2006), p. 67-78.
- Fractions and Units in Everyday Life, Calculation vs. Context,
ed. B. Madison and L. Steen, Math. Assoc. of Amer., 2008, p. 75 - 86.
- PMET's Park City Workshops Help Re-engage Mathematicians in School
Mathematics, FOCUS, Newsletter of the Math Assoc. of Am., Feb/March
2009, p. 33-34.
- Report of the AMS First-Year Task Force, with J. Lewis, Notices AMS
, 56 #6 (2009), p. 754 - 760.
- AMS Homework Software Survey, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI,
2010, 27 pages.
- Reviving the 1960's Mathematics Major, AMS Notices, 58
(2011), p. 704-705.
- What Every Mathematician Should Know About Standards-Based Tests, Amer.
Math. Monthly, 118 (2011), p. 434-447.
- The Mathematical Education of Teachers, writing team, Conf. Board of
Math. Sciences, Washington, DC, 2012, 86 pages.
- The History of the Undergraduate Program in Mathematics in the
United States, Amer. Math. Monthly, 120 (1914), p. 685-701.